Monday, May 2, 2011

Fibromyalgia: Life Sentence Or New Lease on Life?

I suppose this question could be answered by weather you are a glass half empty or half full sort of person; however, either way when it comes to managing Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (FM/CFS) the "life sentence" could be the easy choice. I've never been a fan of this saying, I am more the "Live it up, or drink it down!", kind of person but am the first to admit that even now after all these years of managing my symptoms, there are days where it feels like I have been dealt the dead mans hand and my only option is to fold.

My rough attempt at using poker for play here, my reference to "fold" does not relate to any personal suicidal tendencies, but through all my chatting in different support groups for people with FM/CFS this is a real and sensitive issue. The depression involved in your fight may have highs and lows or you may not have any real anxiety at all making your full time focus to managing your pain. The reason I bring up depression and the slippery slope it can take, is because I feel that it is overlooked not only once diagnosed but also during the journey to discovering answers.

No matter who you are, it is a natural response to have increased stress and anxiety in regards to your health which leads to different levels of depression. For me, my treatment plan has to consist of some sort of mental health treatment, whether it be a counselor or medication. In fact I started seeing a therapist long before I was formally diagnosed just to deal with the how this illness was effecting my work, family and lifestyle in ways that I could have never imagined. Any support group is a plus in my book, but I am also a firm advocate in seeking professional mental heath experts to help you reach your physical and mental health goals. If you haven't met with someone as of yet, I would highly recommend it - you've got nothing to lose.

Fibromyalgia is a life sentence and until there is a cure we will continue to learn, fight and move forward. Now, after saying that I will also say that Fibromyalgia is or can also be a new lease on life. I know more about my body than ever before, faced physical pain on a daily basis proving that I am much stronger than I will ever give myself credit for and I have met amazing patients, Dr.'s, fighters, supporters that have changed my life forever. All of these would have never happened if it were not for my continuing survival of FM/CFS.

Half full or half empty? That is up to you, just make sure you live it up in the meantime and be honest with yourself, your health needs both mental and physical and never be afraid to ask for help.

1 comment:

  1. Having lived with depression in a spouse for the last 20 + years I fully understand the need for intervention. There are effective treatments that enable you to live a better life, keeping the illness in check.

    ReplyDelete