Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Stem Cells: Leap Forward Or False Start For Fybromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients?

As I sift through all the media files, emails, updates that I get everyday on Fibromyalgia(FMS) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(CFS) treatments, this subject caught my eye. Before you fall fate to the stigma of stem cells research read on first, this may just peak your interest.

[1]Researchers at Harvard said they have taken bone marrow cells from people with several genetic diseases and turned them into stem cells. Their motivation here is to help them understand how illnesses like Parkinson's and ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) work and hopefully, lead to better treatments and possible cures. What does this have to do with FMS/CFS? There are a few key factors we do know about all of these illnesses and that is they are neurological, have a lot in common and are all poorly understood.

[2]What we do know, is FMS/CFS and people with Gulf War Syndrome share the same genetic mutation that can lead to ALS. (Note: In Gulf War syndrome, it takes the genetic mutation combined with exposure to certain chemicals to trigger the condition, much like a genetic predisposition combined with certain viruses or other stress's that may lead to FMS and CFS.) 

Think about it, when we all look back at the "trigger" that started the landslide of physical events in our lives whether it be enduring periods of high physical and emotional stress or even a common virus that has triggered CFS in some people; wouldn't of it been great to have a test that would reveal a genetic marker to the predisposition of CFS/FM? This obviously isn't a cure, but if they are able to create such technology from their stem cell research it would be a huge step in the right direction if you ask me.

If I could take back those 9 years of my life where I didn't know what was wrong with me, being misdiagnosed, misunderstood and feeling helpless;it would be priceless. What do you think about stem cell research in this form? Do you think it is a step in the right direction or is it just another scientific hype that is wasted hope? 



2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your posts. Mine is Seeking Equilibrium. I've had this for two years after a bad car accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for these information on stem cells fibromyalgia treatment. I am also planning on getting this treatment done on me because I heard that this treatment is so effective and that too within our range.

    ReplyDelete