Friday, April 15, 2011

Fibromyalgia Treatment: Ribose - Trick Tincture Or True Tactic?

Your first question will probably be, "What is D-Ribose?" D-Ribose is one of those supplements that have garnered a lot of attention recently. D-Ribose is a 50-carbon sugar (unlike 6-carbon glucose sugar) directly involved in the production of "ATP," the fuel that every cell in the body uses for its energy production. D-Ribose doesn't raise blood sugar; rather it's directly converted to ATP. It can even lower blood sugar a bit.


Supporters of D-Ribose claim it decreases pain, improves mental clarity, increases energy, improves stamina, creates an improved sense of well-being, and strengthens heart performance. Uses for D-Ribose range from folks with chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia to athletes looking to improve their exercise endurance. It may also be helpful, in theory, to those who experience muscle aches and pains as a side effect of cholesterol-lowering sustaining drugs. 


According to Dr. Mitchell Hecht, who specializes in internal medicine states that while there are many anecdotal claims about D-Ribose benefits, there isn't much in the way of double-blinded placebo-controlled research out there that tests it against a dummy pill or powder. He has not recommended it to his patients; however, says it is safe enough to recommend to select patients who have not responded to other treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia pain, or cholesterol-medicine weakness and pain. The recommended dosage is 5 grams (powder dissolved in liquid) two to three times daily with meals. Two reputable brands he notes are Corvalen and Life Extension D-Ribose. 


I know we are bombarded with tincture medicine and medical reviews that suggest products to magically make all our symptoms go away. We of course know better than that, but it doesn't stop up from wanting something, anything to at least help put us on the right track. I personally have never taken Ribose, but will be looking a little more into it, especially since I am the worst example of healthy eating. I try, truly I do but with kids and energy levels I can't guarantee that a few nights a week we are having whatever the fridge has to offer. So, due to my current eating lifestyle I need something that will help balance or at least tip the scales a little in my favor. The more information I get and once I have had a chance to take this stuff myself I will be sure to update you all. 


If you have any additional questions, comments, topic suggestions or just in need of support, please email me


As mentioned Dr. Mitchell Hecht specializes in internal medicine. Send questions to him at" "Ask Dr. H., Box 767787, Atlanta, Ga. 30076. 


[1]Sourse - Philly.com

1 comment:

  1. I really like this blog and its giving so much good helpful tips for fibromyalgia patients. Dr. Mitchell Hecht has discussed very truth.
    -----------------------------
    - Fibromyalgia Treatment

    ReplyDelete