Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Has Fibromyalgia Made You A Liar?

It sounds sort of funny to ask such a question, "Does Fybromyalgia make you a liar"? But the reality of it is that all of us with Fibro or Chronic Pain/Fatigue Syndrome are all a bunch of liars. If we weren't then every time someone asked us how we were doing we would have to tell the truth and that truth on most days is not pretty. Instead, we creak a smile and say things like, "Not too bad", "Fine thanks" or just plain "Good". Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Of course we lie about it, if we didn't people would never want to talk to us let alone want to be around us. It is only the nearest and dearest who know the real truth, that our bodies ache to the point of tears, it takes everything we have on some days just to take a shower from lack of energy and that we want nothing more than to sit in a room and pray for it all to go away. But we don't. 99% of the time, we get up, we get going and we live our lives just like everyone else. The only huge difference is, we do it in constant pain and with the perfected lying smile.

Like I mentioned before our cause is not about sympathy but empathy. So I say, lie like a Persian rug, put that smile on your face, take on the day with everything you have and if you don't happen to have it on that day then just bench yourself. Your job is to live and how you choose to live this life with all its uncomfortable effects is up to you. For me, until they come up with a better way to deal with the daily symptoms  all I have to say is this. My name is Abigale, I am a liar and my pants are flaming! But at least I have one smokin' backside!

5 comments:

  1. This is sooo unbelieveably true.

    My name is Sheldon and I am a liar too!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fibromyalgia-Syndrome-Chronic-pain-Support-Awareness/198569906849390

    ive also just made this site if anyones interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, I tell my family, especially my husband "I am gonna fake it today." They know what that means. It means I am going to be wiped out that much quicker because I am not going to limp, I am going to be outgoing, and act energetic. To do that I have an hour and 15 mins tops and then I am OUT OF ORDER for days most times. But sometimes it is just so much better than gettin asked 50 times whats wrong. Somedays I can't stand to hear myself say it anymore, most days I just dont want 'that attention'
    Lisa, age 29 fibro 2.5 years

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fibromyalgia has been my companion since 1996. My life has changed so much.
    At the time I was homeschooling our four precious daughters, I kept it up along with any other responsiblility or interest I was involved in...maybe a good idea or not. But now the youngest has turned 20. I tried a job working with children; but, alas, it was far too stressful & I only worked 4 days a week for three hours a day! As a menopausal women, my giddy up and drive are gone most days & depression beckons me more than not. I struggle with continuity of my life or lifestyle. I always say, "Pace with Grace" but lately, I don't care if I am a part of
    this life or not. Yes, it gets that bad. Yet daily I fight for life as it is still a gift & deep down, I know I have more to give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am a liar. I lie everyday, each hour and every minute of each day. I teach I go through the motions some days, I paste on a happy up beat smile and make it through somehow. Life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across your page thru Facebook as I was reading your post it bought me to tears I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago & my life has changed so much...I get so tired of ppl asking mostly family how I am & I lie & smile while inside I just want to scream I FREAKING HURT..but whats new I hate the look I get when I say I'm in pain, or the comments if you do more you wont hurt so bad. I've been on 3 different meds now & the depression is setting in hard...so back to the dr for another med to see if this helps or that goes away...Thank you for your post, comments & to know there are others out there...there maybe a dim light at the end of the tunnel

    ReplyDelete