Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Making Fibromyalgia Just A Figure Of Speech

They tell me I have a way with words and recently I've had this overwhelming desire to use this skill and make Fibromyalgia just a figure of speech instead of always the topic of conversation. To work my way through puns until this syndrome is nothing but an awkward second cousin twice removed. By no means would I ever diminish the strength and determination it takes to face what we face everyday, I have just decided to laugh in the face of Fibro; sort of like your Dr. did the first time you described your symptoms to them.

There are many wonderful ways to help cope with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Syndrome, through support groups, friends, family or the power of positive thinking. I just happen to be good at dealing with such things with humor and avoidance! Though not recommended for everyone it can be very effective when in a "pain pinch" and when all else fails keep in mind, "A Tramadol a day keeps the Dr. away!"

While we are on the topic of support, I have used all of the methods mentioned above to help me through the good and bad times. In fact, I have met some of the most amazing women and men through support groups. Honestly, without the internet I don't think, I know I wouldn't be involved with as many support systems as I am. It takes a lot of guts to join a group of strangers and spill your secrets about pain, medication, frustration and that is just the introduction! Before I reached out online the idea of going to a local group, though very effective for some was well, just to personal. There is a certain amount of comfort that comes from an  internet based family. You can join like some do as 'anonymous' and work your way up to the crazy yearbook profile picture or you can dive right in and have a verbal enema right from the comfort of your computer chair (no clean up necessary) releasing years of pent up pain and frustration to a group of people who wouldn't miss a key stroke only to say, "We are here for you whenever you need it".

No matter how you decide to face Fibro, remember you don't have to do it alone. Do some surfing and check out a few forums to see if that's up your alley or find the local support group close to home, just make sure you share your story with someone. Yes, your story! We all have one, each different but all equally heroic and should be heard and admired.

As for my project, I am sure it will take more than a few attempts to get things swinging, so bare with me, help me, laugh at me but most of all don't "Freak like Fibro on a frigid day!".

2 comments:

  1. Wanted to let you know there's a wonderful nonprofit organization called Friends' Health Connection at www.friendshealthconnection.org. They have an online community for people with health challenges and they encourage people to post blogs about their stories to help inspire others living with the same. They have other members with fibromyalgia and chronic pain. Maybe your story will help inspire others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the tip and will be sure to check it out. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete